About Me

My photo
I am a personal trainer originally from Chicago. I have been living in sunny Florida for about 11 years now. Here is where I found my career. The best part of my job is seeing someone grow in confidence, pride and strength. I am truly blessed to have my job. I hope I can help influence others to gain a happier, healthier life through this blog. I hope everyone enjoys!!

Sunday, February 5, 2012

Fitness Tip: Make Your Own Medicine Ball at Home

Hi everyone!!!
So it has been awhile since my last post and I have a good reason! I caught a cold and was sick for a few days and had to rest my body which meant no exercise (which I honestly missed). So after I felt better I went back to work all stiff from my 3 days in bed and on the couch. I had a early morning client that day and I demonstrated an exercise for him, of course it was done correctly...I should have stopped there. However, I then decided to show him how NOT to do the exercise and ended up pulling a hip flexor! Man did I feel dumb- first my body was cold and stiff then I had bad form on purpose! As a trainer it is sometimes easier to show your client an improper form so they do not end up doing it and hurting themselves, problem is the trainer then puts themselves at risk. Ah the life of a trainer.
So pulling a hip flexor hurts like hell!! Yikes! So I have been trying to rest it as best I can, trouble is I still have to work, so the resting process has been a bit hindered. It feels like it is taking forever. I can not wait to get back to my workouts!! Exercise is part of my routine and my whole body misses it from my muscles to my sleeping patterns and mood (grrrr!). I will be glad to be back but I'm being careful. In the meantime I am training my arms and writing new routines that I can't wait to show you.

Also I have a little at home DIY project for you to try with some common household items. Medicine balls can range from 40-60 bucks (the one I have I got on sale for $39) so I thought one day of how I can make one on my own. All you need is a kids ball (99 cents at Walmart), a marinade injector (range from $4 and up) and some pvc cement glue (about $5-6). I had most of this stuff laying around already. The one I made I've had for almost a year now and it is holding up great, of course do not put all of your weight on it or slam it on the floor! I use it as an alternative dumbbell for abs, arms and just some added resistance, you may also hold it in between the knees gently to work your inner thighs durning squats or bridges. I also injected some water into a regular stability ball this same way.

Here is what you do...

1. Fill a quart size pitcher with water (One quart equals a little over 2 pounds)
2. Pull the water into your marinade injector and carefully put the needle into the air hole of the kids ball
3. Inject the water in by pushing down the handle

4. Repeat again and again until you reach your desired weight for the ball-it doesn't take as long as you think (I made mine 6 pounds and it just took a few minutes)
5. Dry the ball completely by the air hole and put a dab of the pvc glue, let dry an hour or two before you begin using it.


Piece of cake and you saved a bundle...Now workout! :)

2 comments:

  1. Hello there! This article could not be written any better! Going through this post reminds me of my previous roommate! He constantly kept preaching about this. I most certainly will forward this information to him. Pretty sure he will have a very good read. Thanks for sharing! Here is my webpage ...
    Best recovery
    creatine monohydrate
    protein casein
    nutritional shake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nicole! Glad you enjoyed it :)

      Delete